These super simple hand pies (aka homemade PopTarts) are delicious and made with clean ingredients. Serve them warm with ice cream or grab-n-go for a tart and tasty breakfast snack. PS – They’re “black & blue” because they’re filled with blackberries and blueberries … MMM!
Confession: I’ve already eaten 2 of these and I ~literally~ just baked them. I used refrigerated pie crust (*see note below) and frozen berries, so these hand pies came together in a snap. T’was the perfect way to satisfy my sweet tooth without going overboard. SO GOOD. SO EASY. What’s not to love?
*Note: I used Immaculate Baking Co. Pie Crusts for these and full disclosure… I work in marketing for the brand. With that said, this post is my own and my opinions are my own. And, my lack of willpower is also my own. 😏
Here’s how to make these simple hand pies in a snap…
1 package refrigerated pie crust (2 circles) thawed at room temp.
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup frozen blackberries
1 teaspoon honey
2 teaspoons arrowroot powder (can sub cornstarch 1:1)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Set pie crust out to thaw OR (if you’ve got time – make 2 pie crust circles from scratch). The Immaculate Baking crusts are brittle when you are unrolling, but that’s nothing a lil’ gentle unrolling and smoothing with a rolling pin can’t fix.
2. Put berries, honey, and arrowroot in saucepan over medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring and smushing the berries occasionally. Set aside to cool.
3. Place pie crust circles on parchment paper and use a pizza cutter to slice each into 8 equal pieces. Gently transfer the first 8 to a parchment lined cookie sheet.
4. Scoop cooled fruit mixture into the center of the 8 pieces — do not spread!
5. Dab the tip of your finger in water and run around the edges of the bottom slices, gently place the top slices on, and then press edges with a fork. Trim excess with the pizza cutter and toss or leave it… whatever floats your boat. Repeat till all 8 pies have a bottom, filling, top, and forked edges. Option here to add a quick egg wash and a sprinkle of raw sugar on top of each.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 25 mins or until nice and golden around the edges. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!