Hello! I recently started experimenting with essential oils and decided to take a whack at making an all natural muscle rub. This diy received raving reviews for scent, consistency and moisturizing properties from a few cyclists you may know. Check it out!
The nice thing about this rub is that it’s easy to make, it works great annnnd (like I plan to do) you can tweak to add more heat for therapeutic uses or as embrocation.
Hope you enjoy and stay tuned for a “hot” version of this and maybe a few other variations in the near future!
fine mesh strainer
2 oz sealable container
2 small saucepans (make-shift double boiler… use a real one if you have it)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup olive oil or sweet almond oil
1 heaping tablespoon beeswax
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
essential oils (20 drops clove, 20 drops ginger, 30 drops peppermint*)
*Note – You can use whatever combo of essential oils you like. This blend makes a nice and mild earthy scent. You’ll want to keep at least 30 drops of peppermint as this is what will give you the most warming sensation. Eucalyptus would work really well for a more Vicks Vapor Rub type of effect.
1. Add 2 inches water in small saucepan. Place on stovetop over medium/high heat until boiling. Reduce heat to a simmer and rest second saucepan on top. *You can also use a tall, heat safe bowl (metal most likely) to set down into the water without submerging. Be careful not to burn yourself!
2. In top pan, mix together coconut oil, olive or sweet almond oil, black pepper and ground ginger. Let heat over medium/low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Place coffee filter in mesh strainer and place over microwave safe bowl. Carefully pour melted oil mixture into strainer and allow to drain. *This step gets rid of the gritty ground pepper.
4. Add beeswax to strained oil mix. Stir and place in microwave, heating in 30 second intervals until beeswax is fully melted.
5. Once beewax is fully melted and mixed into the other oils, add in essential oils and mix well.
6. Before the mixture cools, transfer to your resealable container. Allow to cool completely before using.
7. Enjoy as a light muscle rub or massage oil.