These cookies are absolutely irresistible and, I have on great authority, are the best chocolate cookies you will ever bake. What makes them so special?
- They are a killer combo of soft and chewy inside with crisp edges.
- They use chocolate chunks (not chips!) which are mission-critical for getting ooey gooey layers of chocolate inside.
- A sprinkle of flaky sea salt and raw sugar on top = perfection.
Don’t take my word for it… bake some!
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 2 1/4 all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened not melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup dry roasted, unsalted pecan pieces (trust me on this one.)
- Optional Topping: Mix together 2 Tbsp raw/course sugar + 1 Tbsp flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer with paddle attachment (recommended), mix together butter and sugars til fluffy and smooth.
- Gradually add the egg, vanilla, and remaining dry ingredients and mix til combined.
- Mix in chocolate chunks and pecans with a spoon or rubber spatula.
- Using a 1-inch cookie scoop or standard kitchen spoon, drop dough balls on parchment lined cookie sheet, leaving about 2 inches in between. Sprinkle a little of the sugar + salt topping on the dough.
- Bake on middle rack of the oven for 9 mins. Cookies will be pale but should have some light browning on peaks and edges.
- Remove and allow to cool 5-10 mins on the baking pan before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling. This is a critical step in keeping the centers soft but the cookies firming up enough that they wont be raw.
- Repeat until you’ve used up all your dough. Should yield 4-5 dozen cookies.