I just devoured — and I am NOT exaggerating here — an absurd amount of this broccoli salad over my kitchen sink before writing this. I couldn’t help myself! Something about that creamy, crunchy salad just instantly transports me back to summers as a kid. It makes me think of the cookouts my dad and stepmom would host for the 4th of July and there was always WAY too much food. I would eat my bodyweight in grilled hotdogs, deviled eggs, sweet potatoes, and broccoli salad. And then, of course, jump into the pool and splash around until the sun went down and we had to go inside. As a side note: being a grownup is really lame.
Ahem, anyway. This recipe is kind of a healthified version of classic broccoli salad, which typically is made with mayo, cheddar cheese, and bacon bits with a bit of broccoli. I opted for vegan mayo here so the recipe is vegan-friendly, but you can definitely use whatever kind of mayo you prefer. Also, if meat is in your diet, I wouldn’t blame you a bit for adding bacon crumbles as well.
If you need something ~healthy~ in a pinch, you can definitely throw this broccoli salad together in minutes and serve right away. However, a real broccoli salad aficionado knows that it’s best after it’s been chillin’ in the fridge for a while and the flavors have all melded together. MMM!
Hope you enjoy!
Healthy Broccoli Salad (gluten free/vegan)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries (*optional and highly recommended)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 mayo (we use eggless/vegan mayo)
- 2 Tablespoons sriracha
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together mayo, sriracha, and seasoning.
- Add in broccoli, carrot, onion, dried fruit, and seeds.
- Combine everything until evenly coated. Add extra s&p to taste.
- Enjoy right away or, for best results, cover and allow to chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins.