I’ve had a hankering lately for that ultra-indulgent dark chocolate and pumpkin combo. Honestly, this recipe was exactly what I needed. Chocolate pie crust + paleo pumpkin pie filling + chocolate ganache topping = PERFECTION.
I generally steer clear of more time-consuming recipes like this, but I figured that this was a good compromise. It’s really, really easy I swear — it just takes forever, lol. Mostly because the pie has to bake for like an hour and then it takes another hour for it cool down… Does anyone know the science behind why it takes so long to cool? That’s a real question.
If you’ve got the afternoon open and want to make a special treat for fall, I highly recommend giving my Triple Layer Chocolate & Pumpkin Pie Bars recipe a try!
By the way, this entire recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo, and grain free. Sorry vegan friends, there are eggs in here. If you try this with your fancy vegan egg substitutes, be sure to leave a comment and let me know how it turns out! :)
Triple Layer Chocolate & Pumpkin Bars
Prep time: 20 minutes Total time: 2.5-3 hrs
Paleo Chocolate Pie Crust:
3 cups almond meal
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup maple syrup
Paleo Pumpkin Pie Filling:
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
1 cup full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 & 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
Paleo Chocolate Ganache:
2/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
2 cups Enjoy Life dark chocolate morsels (or other non-dairy chocolate chips)
In a small saucepan, bring coconut milk to a boil, stirring often. Pour over chocolate chips and allow to set for about 2 minutes, or until chocolate has melted. Gently stir the mixture, careful not to create air bubbles. Ganache will be thick, smooth, and look kinda like chocolate pudding.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F and line 8×8 baking pan with aluminum foil and coat generously with coconut oil.
2. Prepare crust by combining wet ingredients in a large bowl then adding dry ingredients and combining with hands till you have a nice, firm dough ball. Press evenly into the 8×8 baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes, then remove from oven and set aside.
3. Prepare pie filling by beating all ingredients together til smooth in a large bowl. Pour over prepared crust and smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Bake for 15 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking for 40-50 more minutes, or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely (should take about an hour). Once cooled, remove from pan with the foil lining and transfer to a cutting board. Top with a smooth coating of prepared chocolate ganache and place in the fridge for 10-20 minutes to set the ganache.
5. Slice into 16 pieces and serve. Cover and store any leftovers in the refrigerator.