These yummy treats were developed out of a craving for those chewy lil Sesame Seed Candy (Pasteli) bits you can get at Greek shops. I wanted something just as subtly sweet and nutty but with a bit of extra health factor… you know, so I could eat more and it’d be OK. 😉 These are paleo, gluten-free, and sweetened only by nature’s magical treat, honey.
I flavored these with freshly grated ginger and some vanilla extract BUT I think the options are endless (ie: Vanilla, lemon, lavender… Or heck, even the plain honey and nutty flavor is delish.) Want more superfood superpowers? Add goji berries, flax, hemp, etc.
Hope you enjoy these seriously addictive treats!
honey & seed bars
1 cup pumpkin seeds (raw or roasted/unsalted)
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 chia seed (or other crunchy seed of choice)
1 tablespoon uncooked quinoa (optional)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
1. Mix seeds/nuts of choice and flavorings (ie: ginger + vanilla) in a medium-large bowl and set aside. Cut off a 1ft x 1ft sheet of parchment paper, set aside.
2. Coat small sauce pan with coconut oil and add honey and simmer over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally. Bring to a rolling boil (will be foamy), reduce heat to low and set timer for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. After 8 minutes have passed, honey should be a dark amber color. Turn off heat and quickly (and carefully) pour honey into bowl with seeds and stir to coat. Pour mixture out onto parchment and use flat side of a rubber spatula to smooth out into a thin and even sheet that’s about 1/4 inch thick. Allow to cool completely.
4. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to slice into desired shapes n sizes. Enjoy!
5. For storing, I recommend placing in a storage container with lid. Place layers of parchment paper between layers of bars to prevent sticking.
PS – THANK YOU TO THE BEES FOR MAKING THIS, AND SO MANY OTHER THINGS, POSSIBLE. #savethebees