Ok… I love homemade PopTarts (aka hand pies) and I cannot lie. I LOVE how this straw/rhub version turned out. If you love strawberry rhubarb treats, this is a must-try!
Today I opened my freezer and saw a baggie full of frozen rhubarb bits that Eric’s mom grew in her garden last year. I’ve been telling myself that I’ll make jam or something with it but haven’t yet… whoops. Luckily, I had a box of refrigerated pie crust (*see disclaimer below) on hand and was like – hey, ima make some hand pies because I love them and I can do whatever I want. So, I did.
*Note: I used Immaculate Baking Co. Pie Crusts for these and full disclosure… I work in marketing for the brand. With that said, this post is my own and my opinions are my own. And, my lack of willpower is also my own. 😏
Here’s how to make these simple hand pies in a snap…
1 package refrigerated pie crust (2 circles) thawed at room temp.**
1/2 cup frozen strawberries*
1/2 cup frozen rhubarb bits*
1 teaspoon honey
*if using fresh strawberries and rhubarb, simply add 1-2 tablespoons water to help the boiling process.
**If you want to make homemade pie crust for this, you are my hero.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Set pie crust out to thaw OR (if you’ve got time – make 2 pie crust circles from scratch). The Immaculate Baking crusts are brittle when you are unrolling, but that’s nothing a lil’ gentle unrolling and smoothing with a rolling pin can’t fix.
2. Put strawberries, rhubarb and honey in saucepan over medium heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring and smushing the berries occasionally. Set aside to cool.
3. Place pie crust circles on parchment paper and use a pizza cutter to slice each into 4 equal pieces. Gently fold each quarter in half and transfer to a parchment lined cookie sheet.
4. Scoop slightly cooled filling into the inside of each of the 8 pies. Do not spread – the filling will spread out naturally during baking… plus this helps avoid a big, squishy mess.
5. Gently fold the top of the pies over and press edges with a fork. Repeat till all 8 pies have a bottom, filling, top, and forked edges. Option here to add a quick egg wash and a sprinkle of raw sugar on top of each.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 mins or until nice and golden around the edges. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!