Here’s how you can make those drool-worthy crispy, salty, delicious okra fries from Chai Pani in Asheville, NC at home. You’ll be surprised at how simple this recipe is — so simple, in fact, I feel weird calling it a recipe.
I’m not sure if Chai Pani uses a spiced flour blend to coat their okra, but it seems to help enhance the texture/flavor when making them at home. I am, after all, not using a restaurant-quality deep fryer.
As a risk-averse person, I have to ask you to please be careful when slicing those slippery lil’ okra strips and to avoid burning your kitchen down. 😂 Otherwise, have fun and enjoy!
Crispy Okra Fries
- 1 pound fresh okra
- 2 quarts vegetable oil (or another oil that’s safe for frying)
- 1/4 cup flour of choice (I used coconut flour but wheat flour works too!)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- fresh lime
- Slice okra into thin strips lengthwise.
- Toss okra, flour, and spices together to evenly coat.
- Preheat oil in a pot over medium-high heat til it reaches about 350*F or an okra will sizzle/foam when dropped in.
- Carefully add about 1 cup of okra to the oil with metal tongs and allow to cook for about 3-4 minutes. Okra should be light brown with some green still visible, not dark brown or burned. Remove cooked okra from oil and drain on a bed of paper towels. Repeat!
- Serve with a sprinkle of sea salt and a squeeze of fresh lime. Enjoy!